The Illinois Tollway Department of Diversity and Strategic Development is a driving force for increasing economic opportunities in the diverse communities we serve.
The Illinois Tollway Technical Assistance Program is designed to prepare emerging and established transportation-related construction firms to participate on highway and vertical construction contracts. The program specifically serves disadvantaged, minority- and women-owned business enterprises (D/M/WBE), service-disabled veteran-owned small businesses (SDVOSB), and veteran-owned small businesses (VOSB) as well as small businesses.
Our team of experts provides foundational business and industry-specific training to help growing small businesses compete for prime and subcontracting opportunities on roadway, vertical construction or professional engineering service projects with the Tollway and other agencies.
Business owners work directly with our team of experts:
- INDEP Chicago – Prime and Subcontractor Contractor & Professional Services Training
- Sandi Llano & Associates – MBE, DBE, VBE, WBE Certification Specialist
- Dignitas – Financial and Business Strategy Advisors
- Industria Construction Services – VBE, DBE, MBE General Contractor and Small Business Advisor
- Lopez & Company – Certified Public Accountants
The technical assistance program is powered by the Illinois Tollway and services are provided AT NO COST to business owners.
WHO SHOULD PARTICIPATE
Prime Contractors and Subcontractors (Vertical & Highway) and Aspiring Professional Services Firms, who:
- Have never worked on the Tollway system in any capacity
- Have a basic understanding of the Tollway bid process and want support to determine bid opportunities specific to their trade
- Have bid Tollway work and have not been awarded a contract as a Prime or Subcontractor
- Currently have subcontracts with Prime Contractors and want to improve their understanding of plans, specifications, order of precedence, how to navigate the system and improve overall efficiency
- Are Subcontractors who aspire to be Tollway Prime Contractors
- Are First Time Prime Contractors to the Tollway
program eligibility requirements:
- Three years in business
- Minimum of $250,000 in annual revenue
How to Apply
Submit a complete Technical Assistance Program application to your preferred provider. Click below to access the application and submit the completed form to firstname.lastname@example.org.
An assessment will be conducted by the provider to determine applicant’s needs and review program guidelines.
A technical assistance plan will be developed to assist participants with business needs.
Applications who do not meet program criteria will be referred to other resources.
WHAT YOU CAN LEARN AS A PROGRAM PARTICIPANT
The program helps its clients build capacity to work on the Tollway systems in areas including, but not limited to:
1. Capacity Building
- Access to Capital
- Building a Bonding Program
- Support with Certification Challenges and Navigation
- P4G Mentor-Protégé Match Making and Technical Services Support
- IDOT Prequalification Navigation
- Determining if a bid opportunity is right for your firm
- Procurement (Understanding Bid Docs)
- Interpretation of Plans and Specifications
- Preparing your bid
- Understanding ISHTA Diversity Programs and how to leverage the benefits as a Contractor
3. Post Award Support
- Expectations – Bonds, Insurance, Submittals, Schedules, Mobilization, Subcontractor Approvals, Quality Control, Project Management
4. Contract Execution and Closeout
The Illinois Tollway Technical Assistance Program offers cohort-based training in addition to ongoing one-on-one coaching.
Cohort participants commit to weekly virtual group training, supplemented by virtual one-on-one coaching sessions that apply key learnings and create an individualized plan for each business. Each cohort lasts 12-13 weeks with the chance for businesses to continue receiving one-on-one support, as needed.
*Contact IHCC to learn about upcoming opportunities to join group training as well as immediate access to coaching.