CategoriesIHCC News

RAP helps Chicagoans who have housing right now, but who may become homeless soon because they lost income or had another eligible emergency which prevents them from paying rent.


  • Payment of future rent, or rent arrears to prevent eviction
  • Security deposits in cases of fire, flood, foreclosure, domestic violence, or eviction


  • You live in the City of Chicago
  • You are at risk of becoming homeless due to eviction, loss of income or other emergency
  • You economically classify as a low-income household
  • Your landlord completes the RAP requirements


  • Eviction notice, proof of loss of income or proff of other qualifying emergency
  • Paystub, benefits statement, or affidavit (explanation) of no income
  • Driver’s License, State ID, CityKey, or other
  • Lease, notarized letter, or other
  • Landlord agreement forms

Click Here to Apply Online

The deadline to apply online is Sunday, November 15 at 11:59 p.m.
Download the RAP Frequently Asked Questions, click here

What Will Happen After You Apply

After the online RAP application closes on Sunday, November 15, DFSS will use a lottery to choose applications to process. If your application is chosen, a case manager will call or email you to make sure your application is complete.

They may ask you to submit more documents.

An in-person, video, or photo inspection of your rental unit is then required to make sure the unit meets federal standards.

For help with your application, or to apply in person, call or visit any of the City of Chicago Community Service Centers.

Community service centers are open Monday-Friday between 9 a.m. and 5 p.m.

Englewood Community Service Center
1140 West 79th Street, Chicago, IL 60620, 312-747-0200
Monday-Friday, 9 a.m. to 5 p.m.

Garfield Community Service Center
10 South Kedzie Avenue, Chicago, IL 60612, 312-746-5400
Monday-Friday, 9 a.m. to 5 p.m.

Dr. Martin Luther King Jr. Community Service Center
4314 South Cottage Grove, Chicago, IL 60653, 312-747-2300
Monday-Friday, 9 a.m. to 5 p.m.

North Area Community Service Center
845 West Wilson Avenue, Chicago, IL 60640, 312-744-2580
Monday-Friday, 9 a.m. to 5 p.m.

South Chicago Community Service Center
8650 South Commercial Avenue, Chicago, IL 60617, 312-747-0500
Monday-Friday, 9 a.m. to 5 p.m. 

Trina Davila Community Service Center
4312 West North Avenue, Chicago, IL 60639, 312-744-2014
Monday-Friday, 9 a.m. to 5 p.m.


The following documents may be required before final approval.

Affidavit of no income/no proof of income, no social security card, or no proof of identification

REQUIRED if anyone in your family does not have proof of income, a copy of their social security card, or valid identification

Property Owner/Management Company Participation Agreement
REQUIRED for application

Taxpayer Identification Number and Certification (IRS Form W-9)
REQUIRED for all Property Owners/Managers

The following documents are required in specific circumstances

Property Manager Affidavit
REQUIRED for Property Managers if you are not renting directly from the property owner.

Property Owner/Manager – Client Payment Agreement
REQUIRED if more than 6 months rent owed

Taxpayer Identification Number and Certification (IRS Form W-9)
REQUIRED for all Property Owners/Managers


Add to cart