The Venture Mentoring Team (VMT) is a 501(c)(3) educational not-for-profit with a dual mission of educating Mentors and helping Startups & Small Businesses gain sustainability and traction.
We are comprised of experienced executives and entrepreneurs in corporate, legal, academic, profit, and not-for-profit organizations who donate their time and talent.
These leaders possess the following:
o Altruism, Empathy & Respect for Others
o Desire for Life-Long Learning
o Deep Understanding in a Field of Expertise o Leadership & Collaboration Skills
o Results Oriented
VMT Certification assures that our mentors attain the highest standards of mentoring skills and provides entrepreneurs with the best possible mentoring in a safe environment.
Potential VMT mentors complete an evaluation process that includes a background review and interviews conducted by our most experienced mentors.
The VMT Mentor Training Program is available to other organizations including academic institutions, business development organizations, and for-profit and not-for-profit accelerators and incubators.
VMT partners with community and academic organizations both locally and nationally with shared goals and values.
Why we mentor:
- ✓ Altruism – giving back
- ✓ Personally Rewarding – help others succeed, and the Appreciation – from both Founders & Mentors
- ✓ Education – Learn from both other Founders & Mentors
- ✓ Exposure to latest technologies, marketing & industries
- ✓ Collegial Working Environment
- ✓ Networking through working together on common challenges and goals
What we do for Mentors:
- ✓ Recruit, Vet, and Train Mentors in the Art and Science of Mentoring Startups and Small Businesses
- ✓ The VMT Mentor Certification Program
- ✓ 6 – two-hour Mentoring Seminars with pre-reading
- ✓ 20 hours side-by-side Mentoring in a Team Environment
- ✓ Monthly Mentor Meetings for Continuing Education, Networking, Pitches and Company Updates
How we select Mentors:
✓ Personal Characteristics:
- Eagerness to Help
- Collaboration Skills
✓ Lifelong Learning Altruistic
Background Check, 6 Interviews, Training
- ✓ Mentor Diversity
- ✓ Flexible Time Commitment
- ✓ Only Mentor Companies in which the Mentor has an Interest
- ✓ Companies also must Accept each Mentor on the team
- ✓ Mentor in Teams of 2 to 5
Diversity of Opinion
Eliminates Mentor Burnout
Enables Continuity if a Mentor leaves Facilitates adding Additional Mentors Diversity of Expertise and Contacts